Sharing the road with a semi or large truck is not uncommon, especially if you are on the highway. While you may think nothing of it, large trucks can cause serious car accidents.
There were nearly 300 fatalities involving large trucks in 2017, which does not count crashes that did not result in death. What do you need to know about large truck accidents in Florida?
Types of accidents
Just like car-car accidents, there are many ways that large truck-car accidents can occur. Some common ones include:
- Rear-end accident: If the car in front of a large truck slams on the brakes or the truck driver does not see a car slowing down in front of them, a rear-end accident may occur. It takes a lot of time and space for a large truck to come to a complete stop.
- Blind spot accident: Unlike typical cars, large trucks have blind spots on all sides. If they do not see a car when they are merging, the results could be disastrous.
- Jackknife accident: This type of accident happens when the trailer swings out to the side of the main part of the large truck. It can occur due to weather or the speed of the truck. However, it is almost impossible to control the truck once the trailer is swinging.
- Rollover accident: Sometimes, trucks can roll over, which can be dangerous for any vehicle in its path. Often this happens when trucks take tight turns and the force of the turn tips the vehicle, making it roll.
Effects of accidents
Often, the result of a large truck accident is death. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, these types of accidents cause one in ten highway deaths. Due to the size and weight of large trucks, the effects of an accident on individuals in a smaller car can be devastating. Catastrophic injuries such as traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries are unfortunately common.
How to avoid an accident
While not all accidents are unavoidable, there are some things you can do to stay safe and avoid a crash.
- Stay out of the blind spots
- Do not cut off or tailgate
- Keep your distance from the truck and trailer
- Try not to stop suddenly when you are in front
Thinking about getting into an accident with a large truck or semi is terrifying, but knowing that there are ways to avoid them is helpful.